When the World War broke out, the Philadelphia Barracks, a very important Marine Corps post, the oldest and foremost station of the Corps, was under command of Colonel Charles G. Long; Colonel Long being ordered to Headquarters Marine Corps, Washington, D. C., on September 4, 1917.
Marine Barracks, Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA
He was relieved of command at Philadelphia by Colonel Ben H. Fuller, who remained commanding officer until August 31, 1918, when he was succeeded by Colonel Thomas G. Treadwell, who held command until November 3, 1918; during the brief period from November 3, 1918, to the end of the war the barracks were under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Macker Babb.
These barracks acted as a clearing house for most of the Marines that were sent overseas and to the other foreign posts where Marines were serving. When the war was over a large number of returned Marines passed through the barracks.
When it became apparent at the beginning of the war that the present Marine Corps Recruit Depots would be unable to handle the large number of recruits daily enlisting, it was decided that a new depot would be necessary and Philadelphia was chosen as the site for this new Recruit Depot.
A Recruit Depot was therefore opened at Philadelphia on April 16, 1917, under command of the Post Commander, Colonel Charles G. Long, Major John C. Beaumont and Sergeant Major John F. Cassidy reporting for duty at this Depot on April 19, 1917.